25 January 2012

The Networking Workshop

This blog will be about my experiences writing and self-publishing a series of books called The Networking Workshop. This will be a set of short eBooks teaching people business networking skills. I am at the beginning of the process, have a lot to learn, and hope that you can help me along the way.

The reason I am choosing to produce a set of short books, or Chapters, – each book is a stand-alone chapter of the whole Workshop - is that I would like my readers to be able to purchase only the chapters they need, not the whole book. I like buying music from iTunes because I can select the songs I like from a CD, try a sample of new songs, and skip the rest. I hope that you agree that this would make a good way of buying a book as well. 



Chapter 1 is about Meeting People
The first book will be about Meeting People because it is something that many people find challenging. Also, it is my experience that it is a skill that many people could improve on. I look forward to hearing from your experiences meeting people, and learning your tips and experiences – good or bad. Together we can do it better!


Chapter 2 is about Social Networking
They say that you can achieve your goals by using Social Networking, and I am going to try it live in this Blog. This is something that I know a bit about, but have not used to any great extent. I think that this is an opportunity for us to learn together. Today is day one.

My master plan is to use Social Networking to market The Networking Workshop. So first, I want to learn how to maximize the benefits of Social Networking from the available literature and follow the advice of the Gurus. Later, I will invite the authors to this Blog to help us out and answer our questions.

To start, I bought three books:

How I Sold 1 Million eBooks in 5 Months, by John Locke, and bought from Amazon.com

How to Make, Market and Sell Ebooks - All for FREE: Ebooksuccess4free, by Jason Matthews, and bought from Amazon.com

The Whuffie Factor: Using the Power of Social Networks to Build Your Business, by Tara Hunt, and bought from iBooks.

Let’s see what they have to say!



Finally, selling a book one-chapter-at-a-time allows me to focus on different topics and respond to reader requests. Chapters can be tailored to specific needs. For example, I have recently given a Networking Workshop class (in-person and in Germany) specifically designed for women in the Aerospace Industry in Europe – it was really a Chapter about “Networking for Rocket Scientists”. Tell me your needs and we can discuss a chapter for you as well!

Thanks for reading. We’ll talk again tomorrow.

Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment